Eyelashes and LATISSE®
Eyelash Enhancement- Latisse™
The eyes are a focal point of the face. Studies show that long eyelashes and large eyes are considered a sign of youth and beauty. Fuller and longer lashes will emphasize and frame your eyes, giving you a more youthful, awake or feminine look without the need for mascara, false eyelashes or eyelash extensions. Fuller lashes also provide more protection for your eyes, shielding them from small particles in the air that cause irritation.
When to Consider Eyelash Enhancement
- If you have sparse, thin or nonexistent eyelashes
- If you commonly experience eye discomfort or irritation from small particles of dirt
- If you use false lashes or eyelash extensions
- Longer, thicker eyelashes can help you achieve a more youthful and glamorous look
- You can use Latisse™, regardless of the quantity or quality of your eyelashes
- You can see new hair growth as well as longer, thicker eyelashes in a relatively short period of time
- Some products can cause discoloration or irritation of the pupil
- The prescription strength of Latisse™ has fast results but may have slightly more side effects than non-prescription products
- For eyeglass wearers, the additional length to the eyelashes may result in scraping of your lashes along the inside of the lenses
These are the top three pros and cons to weigh when considering eyelash treatment. If you want to focus on what is unique to you, please consult with our office staff.
How is eyelash enhancement serum applied?
Dr. Jensen or a member of his staff will instruct you about the correct method for applying eyelash enhancer serum at home. Usually, you apply eyelash enhancer at night so the product can be fully absorbed and irritation is kept to a minimum. Application includes the following steps:
- Before applying any product, wash the face and eye area so that it is devoid of makeup, dirt and facial products.
- Remove contacts and false eyelashes or extensions, if applicable.
- Apply the product using a sterile applicator on the upper eyelashes going from the inside out. Do not apply in your eye or to the bottom lashes.
- Blot any excess and continue with the opposite eye (with either the same or a different sterile applicator).
- It is important to be consistent and to use as directed.
What are my options?
Options include nonsurgical eyelash enhancers as well as eyelash extensions. For those seeking a simple, nonsurgical solution, there are a number of eyelash enhancement options to choose from.
What are the brand names for nonsurgical eyelash enhancement serums?
A large number of popular brands are available for enhancing your eyelashes. Latisse is the only prescription enhancer and is also one of the most well known treatments. City Lash, Obagi Elastilash Eyelash Solution, Marini Lash Revitalash, SmartLash, neuLash, and Rapidlash are some of the other non-prescription eyelash enhancer serums currently available for lengthening thickening or conditioning your eyelashes.
Where can I obtain eyelash enhancement products?
Eyelash enhancer serums are offered on the Internet, at your local drugstore or department store. Latisse is by prescription only, and is available for purchase through our office.
How do these products work?
Latisse™ works in two ways. First they contain a molecule similar to bimatoprost, which prolongs the hair growth cycle so that your lashes don’t fall out as often. They also strengthen your lashes by moisturizing them with ingredients like pro-vitamin B5 and humectants. The over-the-counter lash boosters contain a weaker molecule but it still can be effective if the proper active ingredient responsible for hair growth is present in the proper concentration.
How long will it take before I notice results?
Results are generally seen within 30 days, when using Latisse™ Eyelash thickness is said to increase by the greatest percent, approximately 80% to 100% or more, with length increasing by approximately 25% and darkness by approximately 18%.
Fortunately, significant complications from eyelash serums are infrequent. Your specific risks will be discussed during your consultation.
Some of the potential complications of eyelash enhancement are:
- Redness, itchiness, dry eyes, brown spots on irises.
- Skin darkening where the product is applied.
- Hair growth in areas where the product comes in repeated contact with the skin.
You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions of our staff members, both before and after your treatment.